About Me

My photo
Seminole, Texas, United States
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on." - Sir Winston Churchill

Monday, July 23

Country Girl Movie Review

"Music & Lyrics" (Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore)

I really liked this movie for several reasons - and not all of them related to the movie itself. First I did like it for the story and the happy ending. Who wouldn't? Secondly, with a nod to Here's the 80's and its creators Lorraine and JP, the soundtrack was absolute heaven to this 80's era kid.

But you want to know what made me enjoy this movie even more? The fact that it reminded me that I still like Hugh Grant - despite his very public (and hysterically funny) solicitation incident while he was dating the unbelievably beautiful model Elizabeth Hurley. He's still a great actor and he nailed the has-been 80's pop star "spot on" - as those across the pond would say.

And who doesn't love Drew Barrymore? She's endearing (as always) and I totally related to her (based on previous personal experience during my single years). The funniest scene in the movie (to me) was the scene in the hotel ladies' room when she told Hugh, "Look at me, I can't go out there like this. I haven't showered in days, my clothes must reek, and there are bugs in my teeth from the helicopter!" To which Hugh says, "Wait just a moment. I'll be right back." He exits the ladies room and she has this hopeless look on her face and then does the "teeth sucking" thing in an attempt dislodge said errant bugs. Hilarious!! Been there, done that. (No helicopter but a motorcycle - same effect.)

So, although I don't allude to the eschelons pronouncing this movie dubbed with any number of Exalted Koi Heads, I do dub it a great movie that is totally worth the watching.

Maybe I'll give my movie reviews some type of designations - I'll have to think on it a bit.

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

I just put this on my Netflix list...I love Hugh Grant, too, and well, as you duly pointed out, what's not to love about 80s music?

Amy said...

Thanks for the recommendation. Sounds like one we will have to check out...