About Me

My photo
Seminole, Texas, United States
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on." - Sir Winston Churchill

Monday, November 20

Counting My Blessings

As it is the time for outwardly acknowledging our blessings and what we are thankful for, I'd like to share mine with you.

The Lady Lorraine wrote a beautiful post today and provided added inspiration.

I'm thankful for the wonderful people I'm lucky enough to call family and friends. I'm thankful for good health for myself and my loved ones. But not only am I thankful for my family and friends who are an integral part of my every days but for those who play a vital part via the internet. I've made some wonderful friends through Blogger and for that I am very grateful.

And although my local friends are very important to me, my e-friends have special meaning. Maybe it comes from the skinny, awkward little girl that still resides in my psyche. The one who always tried so hard to be funny and be a good friend in hopes that the friendship would be returned. I was the proverbial ugly duckling all the way through school so my sense of humor and forked tongue and sharp wit served me well. If any of you out there were pre-teen or teenagers in the 80s then you know what I am talking about. It was all about looks and name brands. Thinking about it now only makes it seem that much more shallow. And shallow we were back then. We were so clique-y: jocks, cheerleaders, brainiacs, band nerds, dopers. All determinations were based on the outside package. Even though I was too tall, too skinny, braces, glasses, acne - the whole nine yards - I became best friends with the most beautiful and popular girl in school. I was part of the "in" crowd. Whether it was because of my best friend or the fact that I was the first girl in our class to get a car (and a kick ass hot rod, at that!), my school experiences for the most part were good. But all that came with a price. The junior high/high school social mine field. What you wore, what you drove, who you hung out with, etc. Geez louise, the shallowness!

But that's what makes e-friends so much more special. Because without all the superficial outside stuff to get in the way, we all get to know each other for the great people we are on the inside. And isn't that wonderfully beautiful?!

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Beautiful indeed. VAN!!!!!!!!!!